1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made the following remarks:
"Israeli society is a mosaic composed of Jews and Arabs, secular and ultra-orthodox, and until today we have agreed on peaceful coexistence and mutual respect among all sectors.
Recently, we have witnessed numerous attempts to unravel this coexistence. For example, today I heard about a case of moving a woman on a bus. I strongly oppose this. I think that marginal groups cannot be allowed to dismantle our common denominator and we must maintain the public space as an open and safe for all Israelis. We need to look for what unites and bridges, not what divides and separates, and this is how we will act."
2. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed internal adjustments in the 2012 state budget:
"Pursuant to the legislation accompanying the 2012 bi-annual budget, the Government is obligated to submit, by the end of 2011, to the Knesset Finance Committee its proposal for internal adjustments in the 2012 budget.
Taking into consideration the global economic upheaval, the lack of overall stability in our region and the actions necessary to implement the report of the [Trajtenberg] Committee on Socio-Economic Change, the Cabinet will – during January – make decisions on the internal adjustments in the 2012 budget. On behalf of the Government, I will ask Cabinet Secretary Tzvi Hauser to inform the Knesset Finance Committee that the Cabinet will submit a comprehensive plan of internal adjustments in the 2012 budget by the end of January 2012, and to request that the Committee discuss the issue a short time afterwards."
3. The Cabinet approved the following appointments:
* Pursuant to Article 12 of the 1959 State Service Law (Appointments), Harel Locker as Director-General of the Prime Minister's Office, effective 25.12.11. Click here for additional details.
* Pursuant to Article 19a of the 1998 National Parks, Nature Reserves, National Sites and Memorial Sites Law, and in accordance with the recommendation of Environmental Protection Minister Gilad Erdan, Shaul Goldstein as Director of the Israel Nature and Parks Authority in place of Eli Amitai, effective 21.12.11, for a five-year term.
* Pursuant to Article 23 of the 1959 State Service Law (Appointments), and in accordance with the recommendation of Industry, Trade and Labor Minister Shalom Simhon, Michal Tzuk as Director of Employment Regulation at the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor, effective 1.1.12.
4. The Cabinet approved the draft version of the amended 2011 Israel Broadcasting Authority Law and authorized the Ministerial Committee on Legislation to submit it to the Knesset. Click here and here for details.
5. The Cabinet approved draft amendments to the 2011 Municipalities Law and authorized the Ministerial Committee on Legislation to submit it to the Knesset. Click here for details.
6. The Cabinet continued its discussion of steps for socio-economic change – promoting competition, dealing with the cost of living and improving the public sector – and made decisions on the following subjects:
Enforcement in the field of monopolies, examining production and marketing costs for products under Government supervision, advancing port development, establishing mass transit systems, establishing a national authority for public transportation and metropolitan transportation authorities, promoting competition in the liquefied petroleum gas market, competition between gas stations, encouraging competition in the cement market, improving human capital management in the public sector and improving planning in Government ministries. Click here for further details.